We all know that food was the medicine to all health issues and so we have to be more careful about what we eat. Eating the right food leads to a healthier and longer life. Both younger and older generation people find it real hard to eat right because of Loss of appetite, trouble cooking tasty food, unaware of what is healthy. Always choose the right foods for a long and healthy life.
There are so many foods which are healthier for each part of the body and varieties of Foods for a Long and Healthy Life.
A Healthy Heart
Most of the 50’s nowadays are obese because they do not give much importance for a heart healthy diet which helps to control the body weight. Obesity can lead to other disorders such as cancers, heart diseases and diabetes. Below are some foods which controls the blood pressure and cholestrol.
This diet includes:
- Almonds, Cashews and Pista
- Whole Grains Foods
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Dairy Products (Low-fat such as curd, cheese)
- Chicken Skinless
But remember if you keep up with the above diet and dump on oily foods and snacks regularly then it would add to your calories. Always do not forget to choose the best Foods for a Long and Healthy Life
A Healthy Brain
Antioxidants are very important for brain development. Loss of memory occurs in both younger and older ages because of the lack of Vitamin B12. Below are some foods which develops the functionality of the brain:
- Fresh Fish (which is always rich in omega-3 fatty acids)
- Fresh Meat (completely cooked)
- Whole Food Grain
- Country Egg
- Leafy Vegetables
Avoid chronic inflammation caused due to over consumption of spicy, sugary foods. The natural antioxidants found in vegetables help to reduce this inflammation and protects your system. Foods for a Long and Healthy Life are tomatoes, spinach, turmeric, walnuts improves the brain functionality . Omega-3 fatty acids found in almost all types of fish is very essential chronic inflammation fighter and thus promotes a healthy brain for all ages.
A Healthy Muscle
Our body naturally breaks and builds in muscles each and every day. Proteins are very important to help the body shred and build muscles. Eggs are complete source of protein and the cholesterol absorbed by your body can easily be absorbed by the body.
Below are the foods which support to build a healthy muscle:
A Healthy Bone
Good consumption of foods rich in Vitamin D is very important because it absorbs more calcium in the body. Find below how much calcium do you need per day and the right Foods for a Long and Healthy Life:
- Adult men between 19–50 years require 1,000 mg of Calcium per day
- Adult men between 51–70 years require 1,000 mg of calcium per day
- Adult women between 51–70 years require 1,200 mg of calcium per day
- Adults between 71 years and older require 1,200 mg of calcium per day
Adults need to consume more calcium to improve bone strength as well as growth. Too much of Calcium leads to constipation and less Calcium leads to bone disorders. In older adults it becomes difficult to absorb this Calcium. Milk is a very good source of Calcium, especially organic milk directly delivered from the cow.
Nutritional Needs for Different Ages
Different nutrients are essential for the body at different stages of life. Stay fit and healthy and meet your nutritional needs while consuming any food each and every day. Seven building blocks are to be kept in mind for a healthy diet:
- Drink adequate amount of water regularly
- Eat enough carbohydrates
- Sufficient amount of Protein for cell maintenance
- Essential Fatty Acids
- Vitamins which are both water soluble and fat soluble
- Minerals such as iron, calcium and zinc
- Fiber rich Foods which prevents heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis and osteoporosis etc
Baby Food – 0 to 6 Months
The best food which is always suggested for babies between 0 – 2 years is Mother’s Milk. Babies mostly grow twice the length and triple the weight between0 to 1 year period. So mother’s milk has the complete form of all nutrients, fluids and energy required for the baby’s growth and development. It is highly recommended by all pediatricians and elders that mother’s milk is an exclusive diet for all babies between 0 to 2 years. Do not give any fruit juices or other foods to infants below 6 months period. Choosing the right baby’s foods for a Long and Healthy Life is more important each and everyday growth of the baby.
Every newborn baby should be breastfed maximum 8 to 12 times a day which is once in 3 hours. The more you feed the baby with mother’s milk the longevity of the baby increases. You can reduce the occurrence of illnesses in infants if mother’s milk is given properly. Mother’s milk promotes higher IQ and reduces the risks of diabetes, hypertension and asthma. Mother’s milk ensures longevity of every baby.
Baby Food – 6 to 12 Months
You can slowly introduce semi-solids to your baby around 6 months. Foods like ragi, pureed fruits like apple, banana, papayas, cooked vegetables like carrots, beetroots, beans, cauliflower, broccoli pureed and smashed rice. Make sure the food is semi-solid. Semi-solid foods along with mother’s milk improves the nutritional and developmental of the baby.
- Fruits and vegetables are really good for the baby which provides vitamin and minerals
- Salt, sugar and even honey is unnecessary in baby’s food
- After 12 months you can include cow’s milk in your baby’s diet. Make sure milk is completely boiled.
- Avoid artificial juices. Instead chop fruits in tiny pieces or provide fresh fruit juice made from home.
- Avoid nuts and hard foods which would choke your baby
- Introduce one new food at a time. New foods sometimes may cause allergies and so it would be easier for the mother to identify what caused the allergy.
- Make sure the baby drinks enough water.
- Baby requires morning sunlight which provides Vitamin D
Foods for Young Children
Children always love to eat variety of foods. Not the same idly and dosa for breakfast and dinner. Most of the children are often picky to eat and so food should be cooked with creativity. Children may neglect the new food but when tried again and again they will get used to the new taste. Proper food consumption would provide proper nutrients and leads to weight gain and development. Don’t forget to give Foods for a Long and Healthy Life to your little ones.
Make sure you do not overload food to your toddler. Inappropriate weight gain may lead to health problems. Give more important to physical activities such as playing with your toddler, walking etc instead of letting your toddler watch television or mobile phone. Brushing teeth everyday is very vital to avoid tooth decay. Avoid sugar and sugar added food products. Avoid giving soft drinks. If you have a family history of allergy, keenly watch over the foods related to the allergy and avoid for period of time and can then be introduced as the child grows up.
Foods for Teenagers
Boys and girls should be provided with different types of foods which gives nutrients for proper growth. Only proper food intake gives the extra energy which is essential for the growth and physical development of the teenagers. Fast foods should be avoided at this age and switch the diet to whole grains such as cholam, kambu, ragi and traditional foods.
Fruits, vegetables, fresh meat, milk are a healthy treat. Milk and curd are good sources of calcium which supports the growth of bones. Gingelly Oil, country eggs, urad dhal porridge are good sources of energy and nutrients in growing teenager girls.
Foods for Young & Adults
The entire life style and food habits changes drastically at this stage because whether it would be a move away from home for the purpose of study, new work etc When proper care is not taken at this stage it would lead to health issues in the future. Always Foods for a Long and Healthy Life will include traditional foods like ragi, kambu, cholam etc.
Spend some time everyday for exercise. Limit the intake of alcohol. Always include at least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit every day in your diet. During busy schedules, we cannot avoid eating bread nowadays, but make the right choice by switching to eating wheat bread instead of white (Maida) bread. Prefer to consume cooked food items instead of fried items. It is very easy to fall into the trap of processed foods. Processed foods or packed foods are always high in sugar, salt, high in calories, low in nutrients, preservatives and saturated fat.
- A very good and healthy choice of breakfast builds strong immune system and sufficient energy.
- Instant Cereals are only high in sugar and low in fibre. So switch back to traditional fibre rich food grains like kambu, cholam, ragi etc
- People who eat breakfast consume less fat & more fibre, high vitamins and minerals.
- A good breakfast improves memory power and a better activeness throughout study and work.
- Skipping meals especially breakfast will NOT help you lose weight. It only makes you feel more hungry, and so you eat more and leads to poor nutrition.
Foods for Pregnant Women
During pregnancy your body requires additional nutrients, vitamins and minerals and so a healthy diet is very vital. Approximately your body needs about 350 to 500 calories extra each and every day during your 2nd and 3rd trimesters (a period of three months makes 1 trimesters). Poor eating habits leads to a negative impact on the baby’s development. So choosing the proper diet and nutritious foods supports baby growth.
- Calcium rich foods: extra calcium is essential to meet the nutrition of the growing fetus. Dairy products are rich in calcium. Curd, Cheese, Butter, Milk, Ghee are good sources of Calcium.
- Fiber: Soya beans, brown channa, kidney beans are real good sources of fiber. You can also drink Soy milk which improves the growth of the baby and mother.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is very important for the development of the cells and tissues of the baby. Mother should increase the intake of vitamin A by 10 to 40%. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene which is converted as Vitamin A by our body. It also reduces blood sugar levels in the body and improves digestion.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Fishes are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids which builds the eyes and fetus of the baby. Consume fish twice a week.
- Concentrate on diet quality rather than quantity.
- Protein: Eggs contain 77 calories and gives high-quality protein and fat. Insufficient protein during pregnancy may lead to risks such as neural tube defects and brain functionality.
- Choose to eat fruits instead of juice. More juice intake increase sugar intake in your body
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Always include folate, iron, vitamin B12 and iodine in your diet.
- Keep yourself physically fit which provokes normal pregnancy
Foods for Breastfeeding Mothers
Breastfeeding mothers should eat both for their body health and for sufficient milk generation for the baby. Foods that help increase your breast milk supply:
- Dry Fish especial milk shark which is known as paal sura karuvaadu in Tamil.
- Mutton improves good milk secretion.
Foods for Menopausal Women
During menopause women undergo hormonal changes which causes thinning of the bones. Eat foods which are packed with calcium. Talk to you doctor and take calcium supplements if necessary. Start moving! Walking and weight bearing exercises would strengthen your bones and helps to maintain a healthy body weight. Whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products build extra energy and strength to your body.
Foods for the Elder People
As people get older they start eating less food. This makes your diet poor and insufficient nutrients. So enough variety of foods is essential which includes al nutrition. Regular exercise and balanced eating builds appetite and muscle mass. Eat foods which have more nutrients than more energy. Also include eggs, leafy vegetables, fresh meat, nuts, fruit and vegetables and whole grains.
Spend sometime in sunlight which boosts your vitamin D to maintain healthy bones. Avoid foods such as cakes, sweet biscuits and soft drinks. Reduce your intake of salt and sugar in foods you consume. Spend meal times with your family for happiness and peaceful mind.
Eat Healthy and Stay Happy!